Sunday, June 14, 2015

Radio and Silence


I love listening to radio while I am in room. I get to hear many good old and new songs in Italian and English. It keeps me going. Some radio stations do have hourly news that means one is kept updated about the events in the world. You get to know what is happening around you. I love listening to these short but very informative events taking place around you. I am grateful to all those guys working for the broadcasting. 
Of late I have been thinking about the utility and the usefulness of the radio. I know and fully acknowledge that no one can take the place of radio. But radio sometimes doesn't give you that satisfaction and tranquility which you are looking for. It also sometimes disturbs you with all those events happening in the world. The killing and looting, war and political instability in some countries does disturb you very badly. It does not give you that silence which you need to be in tune with yourself and with God. 
In fact Silence does all that. In silence you are connected and you hear various positive voices which connect you with greater and deeper realities around you. Silence allows you to hear the songs of your life which you have deep within hidden. These songs and stories do take us to the bottom of who you are and allows you to accept who you are. In silence you may not hear the old and latest songs but you hear something which is sweet nard melodious and that is about your life. There are many things that you wanted to do and experience, things that you wanted to experience but due unavoidable circumstance you could not.but silence gives you the satisfaction for a long time that you had some desire which you did not fulfill but yet you were happy. 
Radio has its own merits and demerits. I have always been on the side of the merits because I was addicted to it. I couldn't sleep without it. When I was small my brother bought a radio in 1971 and I was only 9 years old. The excitement was so great. We would all hang around the radio to listen to songs from our Bollywood films. The radio was hanged on the top so that we wouldn't fiddle with it. We would just long to listen to songs and news every and now then. My parents would ask the elder brother to switch on the radio when our younger brother would throw tantrums, within no time he would stop all nonsense and go to sleep. We all grew up with listening to songs and news. It was great. I continued it even in the seminary.we were not allowed to have a transistor but there was one in the friary which was available only after lunch and dinner. I was the first one to run and grab the radio and listen to songs. One the transistor fell from my hand and got broken. I was punished for it. I was frightened that the rector would send me back home. It created fear and anxiety in me but next day I was back again. Radio did never brought peace and silence in my life but I did enjoy it at the cost of losing the serenity. It doesn't mean that we should not listen to radio. It has many merits which as I earlier said cannot be replaced. What I mean is that if there is an enslavement to it then it can be dangerous for spiritual life. 
Silence in fact helps you to grow in your spiritual and prayer life. Silence is healing and medicinal. Many of our psychosomatic problems can be solved in the beautiful moments of silence. Sages and gurus have spent years in silence contemplating and meditating on God. Silence is also helpful to take a decisions. Many wars and disputes are results of hasty decisions taken in a feat of anger or in absence of silence. Today the various good leaders who are successful attribute their success to spending time in silence. The live examples is that of Pope Francis. 
Today in our religious houses silence is no longer observed. We live in a noisy world so there is noise also in the religious house.


Sent from my iPad

No comments: